There’s an evolution in internet dating. It is going from the static and impersonal to the lively and interactive. You now can see and talk to your friend or prospective, almost as in real-life, without leaving your home. This article explains how to webcam chat.
Basically, you can webcam chat with audio, using voice over internet protocol also known as VOIP, or by text. When chatting by text, you can see your chat-mate on your computer screen, but you cannot hear his/her voice.
Though you don’t need a webcam to video chat, it is a useful tool because it allows the two of you to see each other, as opposed to only one party being able to see the other.
To get started in live webcam chat you will need certain hardware and software, some of which you probably already have:
1. A computer with live video compatibility. Think later version Windows such as XP or Vista.
2. A high speed internet connection (broadband, cable, DSL, T1, etc.). Dial-up connection is not suitable for video chatting as video does tend to lug (sometimes even with a high-speed connection during peak traffic).
3. Though not necessary, a web camera (webcam or cam for short), helps make video chatting more lively and interactive. Some computers come with a preinstalled with webcam.
4. Software: If you have a webcam, you also need a program, or software, to interpret the images and transmit them for viewing over the internet. Your webcam will typically come with a software installation disk and simple instructions.
5. A chat room: also referred to as a webcam chat room, this is a site facilitates and makes possible video communication. The server must be robust enough to handle video load, which can give any ordinary server a beating and cause lugs and crushes.
Now you’re ready to begin chatting (or watching). Typically, you and your chat friend(s) must all use the same company (chat room). So as to pick the right site, you need to know why you want to webcam chat.
For dating, you need to sign up with a live video dating site. Most video dating sites are of adult category, simply because video chatting started with the adult industry.
If your interests are of the adult genre, you will find plenty of company. Services that specialize in adult webcam dating are galore; not all are reputable though. Most the adult webcam chat websites do allow free basic membership.
For those who just want to chat with friends and relatives, most of the popular Internet services and social networking sites will probably suffice.
But regardless of your purpose for webcam chatting, you should always sign up with a reputable company. The reason is that dishonest video chat companies have been known to sneak malicious software into one’s computer, which can start your webcam without your knowledge or give out sensitive private information about you.
Related Video Chat Articles